Poll: What do you think is most important for devs to focus on?
Content Updates
Quality of Life Updates
Bug Fixes
Stable MP
Campaign Focus
Design Possibilities Focus
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
What is your vision for From the Depths
2018-05-21, 11:55 AM
RE: What is your vision for From the Depths
I prefer land vehicles to ships and other things when I actually want to build things, so tracks and the end of Artificial unIntelligence would be great. Hovers do hover too easily and safely.

A force as voracious as time itself.
A void as cryptic as reality itself.
An enigma as vexing as life itself.
[Image: HjaVgvK.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-21, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-05-21 12:57 PM by vyrus.)
(2018-05-21 05:36 AM)mrvecz Wrote:  Campaign without doubt, the main course of the game. I dont really care about the MP, FTD wont be a good MP game like ever.

You're not wrong, the campaign should be the main part of the game. I do disagree about multiplayer though; as much as you enjoy playing the campaign solo, I've had just as much fun playing with a friend. Fighting alongside each other with our own designs, or co-opting different components of the same battleship (he's way better at gun-crafting than me, and I can make prettier hulls). So while I understand that you might not get much out of multiplayer, and thus don't feel like it's worth the development time, maybe consider that there are plenty of people out there who do, especially since multiplayer\coop draws in a lot of people to the game.

As far as it being broken, I honestly don't think it's that bad a state; it's just been left stagnant long enough to develop the current problems, but a few major patches back when I got into the game it wasn't half bad; 3 of us were playing for hours with no trouble. If the few major bugs (desyncs, build artifacts) were taken care of, the only thing multiplayer would really need added to make it perfectly usable would be join-in-progress support. If we had that, it really wouldn't matter if there were a few kinks left in, because you could just re-join rather than forcing the whole game to go back to lobby.

And again, I know this doesn't matter to some people. However with a mostly-working system already in the game, it annoys me when I see people that disregard it as a main feature, or want to just rip it out entirely, when the entire other half of the user base considers it a vital feature.

(ps multiplayer adventure mode when?)

edit:
literally what I'm talking about here with the community split:

(2018-05-21 06:17 AM)Redstorm Wrote:  As far as multiplayer is concerned, I'm convinced it's definitely dead and worth dropping, but no reason to keep kicking that horse of an argument.

(2018-05-21 06:50 AM)khaz Wrote:  There are quite a few people that play FTD multi-coop exclusively, if multi wasnt on the original steam tags I might not have bought the game at all those 4 and a bit years ago

The fact that keeping multiplayer maintained pulls development time shouldn't be such a hyperbolic issue; the issue should be that there's so little dev time being put into the game in the first place.
2018-05-21, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-05-21 01:39 PM by MizarLuke.)
I've played multiplayer a bit, and had a lot of fun, but because of bugs and lag and other problems resulting from literally no attention to it for years, I was driven away.

I would love if I could play multiplayer with a few steam friends or forum members, it just needs some work. Just like any other feature, it needs dev time put into it.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-05-21, 01:57 PM
The lack of dev time is definitely a factor, but at this point, I'd rather we have better features, not the ability to play with the same broken ones, just with an added rambot in the background.

[Image: 1Mm0MCr.jpg]
2018-05-21, 03:25 PM
As someone who got to play multiplayer, I have to say it was really nice. The game was never stable enough to decent battles when I was playing around. But, being able to give guided tours of a walkable structure or vehicle and being able to design something with another person in real time was something else.
2018-05-21, 08:32 PM
[Image: mbXl5E7.png]

gets high on math
2018-05-22, 02:09 AM
(2018-05-21 08:32 PM)LoSboccacc Wrote:  [Image: mbXl5E7.png]

Yep. 10/10 I agree. Happens to me a lot too. Another nice thing would be the start game loading time. It regularly takes 30 secs to 2 minutes, but it has taken 15 minutes before.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2018-05-22, 06:40 AM
Forget content - sorry KotL, but your time still isn't yet. At this point the game should get all it's basic mechanics in place - that means fixing damage types and how they interact with blocks, then damage delivery systems, then support for damage delivery systems ( so damage, weapons, power/propulsion/hulls ); MP needs to be built in at every point of this, so while you could put that off for later, it's not a good idea. Once it's all *there*, then it needs to be there *well* - so do some profiling of mechanics to make sure their cost is as cheap as possible. Building MP in properly might give the mechanics to multi-thread the game much better too, or vice-versa - the biggest problem with both is keeping everything synced.

*Then* put some content in, or do a pass over what's there. Nope, not KotL yet either, but complete entity interaction ( how vessels work together and against each other ) and overall strategic gubbins; none of these need intricate content to test, just basic vehicles with some behaviour. Then profile all that lot into the ground too, because right now battles do not seem to scale well with additional entities no matter how small they are.

Now we'd be in beta: KotL, go! *now* we (re)add campaign content and people can start thrashing stuff to pieces & finding unexpected bugs. There's no point doing this first if it just has to be redone when something gets fixed beyond recognition in the core.

If people are bored & want some fresh paint on the outside - sorry, you're going to get bored again pretty quickly without some major surgery.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-05-22, 07:54 AM
(2018-05-22 02:09 AM)MizarLuke Wrote:  

Yep. 10/10 I agree. Happens to me a lot too. Another nice thing would be the start game loading time. It regularly takes 30 secs to 2 minutes, but it has taken 15 minutes before.

FtD do not crash at exit.
It's ProtecTechTools which crashes at exits.
I have finally found and fixed that bug, it should be released at the same time as the next FtD release.

About the loading time, it has been greatly reduced in the devtest version, I find it bearable now (but maybe it's because I was so used to an excessive loading time so any improvement make it bearable...).
2018-05-22, 04:11 PM
(2018-05-22 07:54 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  
(2018-05-22 02:09 AM)MizarLuke Wrote:  

FtD do not crash at exit.
It's ProtecTechTools which crashes at exits.
I have finally found and fixed that bug, it should be released at the same time as the next FtD release.

About the loading time, it has been greatly reduced in the devtest version, I find it bearable now (but maybe it's because I was so used to an excessive loading time so any improvement make it bearable...).

I've got no mods. FtD will freeze at the main screen when you press quit after you have played for awhile (probably just on low-end PCs). It requires a bit of spam clicking to crash it and get yourself free. Hasn't happened to me in a awhile, but I think it may just be because I've been in designer more and for shorter periods of time. It may have been patched out, but I don't think so. It isn't much of a concern, and probably just from bad computers, mostly.

Nice of you to grace us with your presence, Gladyon. It would be nice to see a dev's point of view on this in general, what you want FtD to become.