Poll: Are you planning to take part in this tournament?
This poll is closed.
yes 61.11% 11 61.11%
yes - would like to submit more than one entry 16.67% 3 16.67%
nope 22.22% 4 22.22%
Total 18 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Sea Encounters - Light Cruisers [ship vs ship phase]
Yesterday, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 10:26 PM by harnas1977.)
RE: Sea Encounters - Light Cruisers [ship vs ship phase]
(Yesterday 10:21 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  I do believe light cruisers using a single citadel is OK. But if you go and do BBs, plz consider 2 or 3 citadels. Otherwise all armor is concentrated there and everyone will try massive 500mm sabot to core the other ship in 1 salvo. BBs should be able to survive 1 blowout, but at some cost to combat efficiency if course. Like having to separate front and rear turrets AIs in front and rear magazines.

yes, I am already considering that. Have some ideas.

EDIT: of course everything HMS will have only single citadel due to historical reasons Wink

primum non nocere
Yesterday, 11:12 PM
(Yesterday 10:21 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  I do believe light cruisers using a single citadel is OK. But if you go and do BBs, plz consider 2 or 3 citadels. Otherwise all armor is concentrated there and everyone will try massive 500mm sabot to core the other ship in 1 salvo. BBs should be able to survive 1 blowout, but at some cost to combat efficiency if course. Like having to separate front and rear turrets AIs in front and rear magazines, and naval card AI in central citadel, where historically the boiler rooms and engines were.

Put enough ammo to feed the gun near that gun? (amount is found easily: make a raft, put a gun there, add ammo boxes until enough)
Then add gun's AI mainframe there too, or in turret itself, and without backups.
Have pen - goodbye gun.

hmm. With battleships there's one FTD derived problem: if 500mm sniper sabot is allowed, with bigger, heavier ships everything WILL be 500mm sniper sabot.

Sadly here isn't way to aim guns at random points in "general area of the target around where certain block type is located" instead of that block directly, to simulate "realistic" target analysis and aiming. Like, "shoot at ship's middle part in hope there's ammo" instead of magically know and snipe that particular bullet in bottom right corner. Sigh.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 11:19 PM
(Yesterday 10:23 PM)harnas1977 Wrote:  
(Yesterday 10:21 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  I do believe light cruisers using a single citadel is OK. But if you go and do BBs, plz consider 2 or 3 citadels. Otherwise all armor is concentrated there and everyone will try massive 500mm sabot to core the other ship in 1 salvo. BBs should be able to survive 1 blowout, but at some cost to combat efficiency if course. Like having to separate front and rear turrets AIs in front and rear magazines.

yes, I am already considering that. Have some ideas.

EDIT: of course everything HMS will have only single citadel due to historical reasons Wink

That's only if they're battle cruisers though. Plenty of the REAL battleships were capable of taking multiple hits.
Yesterday, 11:21 PM
(Yesterday 11:12 PM)DraWay Wrote:  
(Yesterday 10:21 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  I do believe light cruisers using a single citadel is OK. But if you go and do BBs, plz consider 2 or 3 citadels. Otherwise all armor is concentrated there and everyone will try massive 500mm sabot to core the other ship in 1 salvo. BBs should be able to survive 1 blowout, but at some cost to combat efficiency if course. Like having to separate front and rear turrets AIs in front and rear magazines, and naval card AI in central citadel, where historically the boiler rooms and engines were.

Put enough ammo to feed the gun near that gun? (amount is found easily: make a raft, put a gun there, add ammo boxes until enough)
Then add gun's AI mainframe there too, or in turret itself, and without backups.
Have pen - goodbye gun.

hmm. With battleships there's one FTD derived problem: if 500mm sniper sabot is allowed, with bigger, heavier ships everything WILL be 500mm sniper sabot.

Sadly here isn't way to aim guns at random points in "general area of the target around where certain block type is located" instead of that block directly, to simulate "realistic" target analysis and aiming. Like, "shoot at ship's middle part in hope there's ammo" instead of magically know and snipe that particular bullet in bottom right corner. Sigh.

Just ban aim-point selection, then it just shoots for CoM.

And I like the idea of having ammo near the guns. Hell, you can put the ammo on the spin block itself for the main guns, as that's where it was stored in the turrets. Can be placed nearby for secondaries.
Yesterday, 11:50 PM
(Yesterday 11:21 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  

Have pen - goodbye gun.

And I like the idea of having ammo near the guns. Hell, you can put the ammo on the spin block itself for the main guns, as that's where it was stored in the turrets. Can be placed nearby for secondaries.
Unfortunately, it's not the case. Instead of CoM it actually shoots random block (welcome randomness), which was one of the reasons I've went for the citadel concept.

You can't put ammo on sub-constructs.

primum non nocere
Today, 12:17 AM
(Yesterday 11:50 PM)harnas1977 Wrote:  
(Yesterday 11:21 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  

Have pen - goodbye gun.

Unfortunately, it's not the case. Instead of CoM it actually shoots random block (welcome randomness), which was one of the reasons I've went for the citadel concept.

You can't put ammo on sub-constructs.

You can't? Shoot.
Today, 05:32 AM
Well, you definitly can put ammo on subconstructs. Ammo was never stored in tge turret though. Magazines slways were seperate rooms adjacent to the rotating bits. Only in small applications is the ammo storage actually on or in the turret, like in tanks for example.

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
Today, 11:37 AM
New battle is up!
Enjoy

SE LC B35 Eagle vs Königsberg

primum non nocere
Today, 12:39 PM
Well, once again the Konigsberg's paper armor gets pwned. Which sucks for such a nice looking ship.

For the battleships, I say we can be allowed a maximum of 3 fixed torpedo tubes with 15 gantries maximum. Because a lot of predreadnough/dreadnought ships had them.
Today, 12:53 PM
The problem is that i had no more recources left, i would have added more armor otherwise

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.