Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weaponized piston skewer of doom
2018-06-13, 04:04 AM
RE: Weaponized piston skewer of doom
(2018-06-07 04:02 PM)WeDgE Wrote:  Since you are already in the air, maybe mount it vertical in the hull to bypass the subobject limit? Then set your AI range to zero so it flies right over the top and boom.

I mean, the whole point of this design was to be able to ram at a range rather than at point blank. I'm not sure how that would bypass the subobject limit, either.
[/quote]

Well, I am no expert, and am assuming you were right about the subobject limit. (On a turret?) What I was hypothesizing was not mounting it on a turret at all, but direct on the hull, in which case you could have a much greater range, just directly overhead since it wouldnt be aimable. You would aim it with your naval AI range.

OR you could mount it pointing up in a submarine! And you can accordion it, so its compact either way. Hmmm I want to try it now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-14, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-06-14 11:38 AM by BioPhoenix.)
RE: Weaponized piston skewer of doom
(2018-06-13 04:04 AM)WeDgE Wrote:  Well, I am no expert, and am assuming you were right about the subobject limit. (On a turret?) What I was hypothesizing was not mounting it on a turret at all, but direct on the hull, in which case you could have a much greater range, just directly overhead since it wouldnt be aimable. You would aim it with your naval AI range.

OR you could mount it pointing up in a submarine! And you can accordion it, so its compact either way. Hmmm I want to try it now.

Keeping it on a turret also carries the very distinct advantage that a turret's end can be rapidly moved around. If it were hull-mounted, it would not work anywhere near as effectively as it could easily be bumped aside or otherwise prevented from staying on target, substantially limiting its usefulness, and in particular also completely negating its ability to target ammo and AI. In fact, I do believe that if it were a fixed mount it wouldn't work properly at all - I did quite a bit of experimentation prior to developing this weapon system and it's very easy for it to not work right.

Also, there is an absolute limit on how many subobjects can be nested. I believe it's something like 24. What type of subobject is irrelevant. The ram device meets this limit exactly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply