Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turret stacking and Pistons Update
2017-12-26, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-26 05:00 AM by Vorpalim.)
Turret stacking and Pistons Update
This is an open thread to allow for the incorporation of new Turret on turret action and pistons.

You may take any in game design and refit it to use these blocks/ methods. If you can think of any interesting way to incorporate new pop up weapon systems using the Piston you may do so.
However, if i find the change in design strength too great for the design I may reject/ change it so do that at your own risk.

Obvious examples of designs that need Turrets on Turrets would be the Arms on TG Mechs, or certain Deck mounted AA turrets and stuff.

Note: This is not an open invitation to make sweeping changes on designs outside the scope of the Turret blocks and Pistons.

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"Exaggerating just pisses me off" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-26, 11:57 AM
RE: Turret stacking and Pistons Update
Hey, so if I were to attempt to make a melee mecha, which existing TG unit should I use as a base?

Uses the golden ratio.

[Image: n4pzmbo]

Fat_ninja - today at 1:40 PM
Would the perfect pair of boobs be 1.6 times the size of the body or vice versa?
2017-12-27, 11:41 AM
So does your approval means that spinblock stacks are safe to use in campaign ?

Wont they like... drag performance or something ?

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-27, 01:15 PM
stackable turrets? oh boy!

"In order to be true to our nature, and our destiny, we must aspire to greater things. We have outgrown our cradle. It is futile to cry for mother's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the stars."
2017-12-27, 05:22 PM
(2017-12-27 11:41 AM)mrvecz Wrote:  So does your approval means that spinblock stacks are safe to use in campaign ?

Wont they like... drag performance or something ?

Try to restrict yourself to using as few parts as is necessary to achieve the desired effects. So don't go super crazy and you'll be fine.
2017-12-27, 07:03 PM
Shouldn't there be a particular rule about concealed weapons?
I mean, now it's easy to have a wall to open or to slid, and then some pistons to bring a weapon out of the vehicle when the 'door' is opened.
Maybe that should be encouraged for some factions, and/or mostly forbidden for some other factions?
That could participate to the 'style' of some factions.
2017-12-30, 08:11 PM
LH and SS might benefit most from hidden weapons. I might even say OW could benefit from hidden weapons that open out of bulwarks with a cannon.
DWG probably completely barred from it except small guns?
I don't see WF style and hidden weapons besides melee stuff like saws sliding out of a compartment.
TG benefits from just turret stacking, their multi-hull might not have space for hidden stuff, maybe hidden simple weapons.

If thread is cancer, run awey quik and let dem otder pepple deep wit it.
-Lemming 2k16 (Inner grammar Nazi intensifies)
(2016-03-27 12:23 PM)BaronBaconeer Wrote:  8/10 Builds things. BIG things. Will possibly cause someone's computer to crash in the future.
2018-01-02, 06:09 PM
I just refitted the OW Palisade with stacked turrets. I'm not really satisfied with the aesthetics, but right now it's basically a prototype I want to get some opinions on. I replaced the rear dual 1400mm with a two-level turret with three 1173mm weapons. Didn't change anything else.

.blueprint  Palisade Stacked Turrets.blueprint (Size: 321.88 KB / Downloads: 11)
2018-01-02, 07:06 PM
I took a look at the your Palisade, Stinger the Turret aesthetic is actually quite nice, despite a few unpainted blocks inside, the kind of thing that annoys me slightly. The weapon have not been assigned a control channel. Not to bad overall.

Now, I have to say I am not too enthusiastic at the idea of retrofitting OW ship with stacked turret, just for the sake of it. OW received a massive overhaul two months ago that ensured the faction was fully functional and up to date. I expect any submission for the OW to stand up to the same standards to keep the faction consistent. In this case, I am not sure that stacking a cram turret on top of an other cram turret is a worthwhile usage of the new stacked turret mechanic. Two turret will shoot at the same target anyway, so might as well just have a single turret with three guns; but then replacing an existing turret for an other turret design with lesser caliber guns is not worthwhile either.

The new stacked turret function should be applied to design were stacking the turret is an improvement over the existing architecture, to replace a turret mounted on light block for instance, granted the replacement is a perfect equivalent with no unintended side effect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-02, 07:12 PM
Yeah, as I was building it I came to realize it was a bit pointless. I'm not offering this as a submission, instead more of an experiment to try and get the ball rolling. I think stacking turrets holds a lot of promise but the way I did it is too simple to be useful