Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice on a particle cannon
2017-12-06, 06:16 PM
Advice on a particle cannon
I made a huge particle cannon with 1250 pipes. What kind of damage should I make it do? It takes 1 minute to recharge and has max range.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-06, 08:01 PM
RE: Advice on a particle cannon
Given the large size, piercing wouldn't be best, since it would go straight through anything and overpenetrate. Use explosive shock if you are against DWG or lightly armored opponents, as it does a lot of low AC damage. EMP is just generally bad, so probably use impact. Set the charge time to 10 (max), and balance the damage/attenuation and other stats based on range needs. I assume it will be on a 5m 1-axis turret, if not, I suggest it, and set the vertical/horizontal focus to favor vertical, and add a 1 or 2 second delay to make sure it doesn't shoot with lowered stats while turning. Set the local weapon controller to fire at the speed you want, but I suggest reducing the PAC's size and increasing power generation to get it to charge fast enough. Also provide the BP if you aren't satisfied with my explanation, so someone with more experience can directly edit it.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-06, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll provide the blueprints after I make some basic edits to it. Keep in mind that currently, it's just a raft with the weapon and a huge amount of RTGs and batteries. I do plan on putting it on a turret in the future, along with adding some way for it to move and some defenses.
2017-12-07, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-07 05:50 AM by Aperson.)
(2017-12-06 08:01 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Given the large size, piercing wouldn't be best, since it would go straight through anything and overpenetrate. Use explosive shock if you are against DWG or lightly armored opponents, as it does a lot of low AC damage. EMP is just generally bad, so probably use impact. Set the charge time to 10 (max), and balance the damage/attenuation and other stats based on range needs. I assume it will be on a 5m 1-axis turret, if not, I suggest it, and set the vertical/horizontal focus to favor vertical, and add a 1 or 2 second delay to make sure it doesn't shoot with lowered stats while turning. Set the local weapon controller to fire at the speed you want, but I suggest reducing the PAC's size and increasing power generation to get it to charge fast enough. Also provide the BP if you aren't satisfied with my explanation, so someone with more experience can directly edit it.
Here's the blueprint, I realized that it was actually firing at 1/10 of the required full power so I added an unreasonable amount of batteries and rtgs. It now takes around 5 minutes to fully charge, costs almost 1.5 million resources, and it's maneuverability is awful. It can fly, but only in one direction which is forward and a bit to the right. It has absolutely no way to protect itself and can't aim the weapon at close ranges. HOWEVER, it has incredible range, accuracy, and at close range, it blows a hole through the singularity which deals 24%.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Murder Weapon 1.blueprint (Size: 237.46 KB / Downloads: 6)
2017-12-07, 02:34 PM
I'll look at it tonight, if I have the time. You can use steam or fuel engines to power it, since RTGs cost a lot to make in large numbers, unless you can spare the cost and want infinite power.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-07, 02:53 PM
I do not advise to create a PAC with more than 950 pipes per arm, as it can cause the game to have an unexpected behaviour (usually ending in a very significant slowdown or even a crash).
2017-12-07, 03:45 PM
(2017-12-07 02:53 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  I do not advise to create a PAC with more than 950 pipes per arm, as it can cause the game to have an unexpected behaviour (usually ending in a very significant slowdown or even a crash).

I only have 250 pipes per arm, I really don't need it to be any bigger, it already takes 5 minutes to charge and 25 million energy to shoot.
2017-12-07, 03:49 PM
(2017-12-07 02:34 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I'll look at it tonight, if I have the time. You can use steam or fuel engines to power it, since RTGs cost a lot to make in large numbers, unless you can spare the cost and want infinite power.
I'm using RTGs because while engines would cost less initially and take a smaller space, it would still cost a large amount of fuel or material to shoot it once.