Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Development update October 2017
2017-10-12, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-12 07:01 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
RE: Development update October 2017
(2017-10-12 03:48 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote:  In real life most ships can't blow up incoming torpedoes with lasers or supercavitating bullets either. Those are things in FTD.

Yep. US carriers are getting anti-torp missiles though ( I'd think everyone else's large ships will follow ). All these systems use towed sensors, which are well away from ship noise.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 20/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-12, 07:47 AM
No point defending against torpedoes if you cant defend against missiles Tongue

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-10-13, 06:40 AM
Just saying, my info was from a U.S. Navy TM He was a good friend back in A School.

Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
~Axel Oxenstierna 1648
2017-10-13, 07:36 AM
Looking forward to it.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
2017-10-13, 05:40 PM
(2017-10-13 06:40 AM)Njord Wrote:  Just saying, my info was from a U.S. Navy TM He was a good friend back in A School.

How long ago was it? I know active soft-kill antitorp stuff has been fitted to deployed ships since sometime in the mid 2000s ( also using towed sensors ), this hard-kill thing appears very new & looking at past development, not without problems; but these days they're not inclined to fit kit that doesn't work somewhat.

From a gameplay point of view - something with no counters at all other than blowing up the host ship is not good balance, but then when you've started making a nod to reality everything should have at least a little grounding in reality ( someone else can tell me how practical vehicle borne PAC is Tongue ) so a counter should at least be *likely* tech. Deployed-but-not-combat-tested seems sufficiently likely, I feel.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 20/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.
2017-10-13, 10:54 PM
Attempted hardkill measures against torpedoes have existed since WWII at the very least. When the USS William D. Porter accidentally launched a live torpedo at USS Iowa, one of Franklin Roosevelt's bodyguards drew his pistol with the intent to shoot the torpedo. This ultimately proved unnecessary as the Iowa was able to get out of the way.
2017-10-14, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-14 02:06 AM by Normal69.)
Nick, I would necro you, you know, so you've chosen fine people to stand ground against the tide of our questions.
You will have a good game of FtD whatever you want.
Came back from a concert, this is beer talking. Wink

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user