Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[DWG] Buccaneer pirating airship
2016-03-03, 03:07 AM
RE: Bucanneer pirating airship
On a more serious note, if intended for integration there is one other elephant in the room to address.

Posters. We need one of two things to happen.

1. Posters get modified to be able to reference a location on the hard drive, and any relevant images are in the game's files for any faction ship that uses them. OR...

2. An option is added which allows you to save an image to the blueprint itself. Thereby sidestepping any issues that could occur if a vessel is used when offline or when the website the image is hosted at is offline/no longer available.

Number 2 would be the best for the long run.

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-03-04, 12:12 AM
Oh, as far as the ship's actual characteristics go, I do have a couple suggestions. Which I've compiled into a modified version of the Buccuneer's blueprint, which I'll attach to this post.

Changes are as follows.

1. I deleted and then replaced chairs with new seemingly identical chairs. I did this until the chair you warp to upon choosing "warp to vessel" was now the chair in the center of the main area (the place with the entrance sign). Long story short, the "oldest" chair on the ship is the one you warp to. If you remove a chair, and put a new one in its place (even if via shift-click), that chair is now the newest-placed block, and thus you will not warp to it unless there are no other chairs (or unless you re-place all the other chairs afterwards).

2. Found a non-walkable area with enough room to add some fuel to improve its range and combat time (I didn't want to add any to a location you could actually see it from). It is to the sides of the doors leading into the entrance area noted in number 1.

3. Added 4 3x4x5-size efficient engines to the very back. This required actually changing the appearance of the back a small amount, but it still looks nice (if perhaps slightly more like the back of a ship). The twin booms of the rear are still there, but now protrude a little bit less from the middle-rear than they used to.

4. Two ACBs were added near the old engines (which I left unchanged). They set the old engines' max RPM to 1% when no enemies are within 5000 meters, and to 100% when there are enemies. This causes only the new engines to really be used when flying around without enemies, greatly improving out-of-combat fuel efficiency.

5. The three forward deck guns now have barrels 2 blocks longer, and had their failsafe settings increased to a width of 2, in order to try and get them to stop shooting out the the ship's propellers. I think it does still do it sometimes, but it does seem much less frequent now.

Anyway, hopefully this proves useful to you. Some of them (1 especially) are more useful for when a player owns the ship.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Bucanneer_Mod.blueprint (Size: 659.62 KB / Downloads: 26)

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.
2016-03-04, 05:44 AM
(2016-03-04 12:12 AM)KuramaFox Wrote:  Oh, as far as the ship's actual characteristics go, I do have a couple suggestions. Which I've compiled into a modified version of the Buccuneer's blueprint, which I'll attach to this post.

Changes are as follows.

1. I deleted and then replaced chairs with new seemingly identical chairs. I did this until the chair you warp to upon choosing "warp to vessel" was now the chair in the center of the main area (the place with the entrance sign). Long story short, the "oldest" chair on the ship is the one you warp to. If you remove a chair, and put a new one in its place (even if via shift-click), that chair is now the newest-placed block, and thus you will not warp to it unless there are no other chairs (or unless you re-place all the other chairs afterwards).

2. Found a non-walkable area with enough room to add some fuel to improve its range and combat time (I didn't want to add any to a location you could actually see it from). It is to the sides of the doors leading into the entrance area noted in number 1.

3. Added 4 3x4x5-size efficient engines to the very back. This required actually changing the appearance of the back a small amount, but it still looks nice (if perhaps slightly more like the back of a ship). The twin booms of the rear are still there, but now protrude a little bit less from the middle-rear than they used to.

4. Two ACBs were added near the old engines (which I left unchanged). They set the old engines' max RPM to 1% when no enemies are within 5000 meters, and to 100% when there are enemies. This causes only the new engines to really be used when flying around without enemies, greatly improving out-of-combat fuel efficiency.

5. The three forward deck guns now have barrels 2 blocks longer, and had their failsafe settings increased to a width of 2, in order to try and get them to stop shooting out the the ship's propellers. I think it does still do it sometimes, but it does seem much less frequent now.

Anyway, hopefully this proves useful to you. Some of them (1 especially) are more useful for when a player owns the ship.

Thank you for the help, i will take it further this week Smile
2016-03-04, 08:05 PM
I'd love to see this in the game.

Götterdämmerung muss fliegen.
2016-03-04, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-03-04 09:03 PM by depth_dweller.)
This has "DWG Flagship" written all over it.

Please integrate it.
2016-03-05, 06:37 PM
(2016-03-03 03:07 AM)KuramaFox Wrote:  Posters. We need one of two things to happen.

Or Rosefall strikes up a deal with Nick to host the images directly on fromthedepthsgame.com. Same applies to all other campaign vehicles.
2016-03-05, 07:41 PM
(2016-03-03 03:07 AM)KuramaFox Wrote:  On a more serious note, if intended for integration there is one other elephant in the room to address.

Posters. We need one of two things to happen.

1. Posters get modified to be able to reference a location on the hard drive, and any relevant images are in the game's files for any faction ship that uses them. OR...

2. An option is added which allows you to save an image to the blueprint itself. Thereby sidestepping any issues that could occur if a vessel is used when offline or when the website the image is hosted at is offline/no longer available.

Number 2 would be the best for the long run.
While I'd generally throw my vote into hat#2, another option is to simply not bother with the posters at all. It's not as though this ship isn't awesome even without them.

If we get decorative blocks in the future (either officially or via modding), they could be used as an alternative as well.

Spin Block Templates - Now with Inverted Templates!
2016-03-05, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-03-05 07:47 PM by depth_dweller.)
Should really just save images inside blueprint. Blueprints are in JSON, and encoding an image into JSON is just a matter of base64'ing it, then saving the resulting string. This is somewhat space-inefficient but beats any other solution imo.
2016-03-06, 07:49 AM
This thing is gorgeous.
2017-08-12, 01:49 PM
Back when Majyst was running this request thread he decided to take this awesome design on his own and tweak it a bit. The Buccaneer was never intended by the creator as a submission I'd bet, but hooboy did it deserve a spot anyway. Congrats to R0SEFALL for hitting the bullseye for the style.