Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Exhaust problems and questions.
2017-08-13, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-13 03:09 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
RE: Exhaust problems and questions.
|===| : pipework

Cyl |=| exhaust |=| black turbo part |====| outside
Cyl | Carb | white turbo part ||

Best to pipe as many cylinder exhaust ports together as practicable and then start feeding them into turbos. Turbochargers work by taking energy out of the exhaust ( which is hot air mostly, it just came from the explosion in the cylinder ) & spinning a turbine blade. That is connected directly by a shaft to another turbine blade which compresses the air coming into the cylinder. Mostly that's so you can burn more fuel while still keeping the fuel/air mixture the same and with the added benefit of keeping the fuel/air ratio the same for changing altitudes, but there's some efficiency gain for presumably certain installations which I'm not too certain about ( taking energy from the exhaust & adding it to the input air should do something, presumably - but if you add an intercooler after the turbo it'll just take it all out again ). As an anecdote, Porsche's hybrid Le Mans prototype has a turbine in the exhaust attached to an alternator which charges the hybrid batteries.

In common with everything else about FtD fuel engines, that's all reversed & it makes the engine burn less fuel for the same power Tongue

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-13, 04:48 PM
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.co...657B90B39/

I've been putting exhaust pipes to the little swirly thing in the white part, I take it that's not what I'm supposed to do?
2017-08-13, 10:08 PM
Thats how suposed to be done fox

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-08-14, 02:06 PM
(2017-08-13 04:48 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.co...657B90B39/

I've been putting exhaust pipes to the little swirly thing in the white part, I take it that's not what I'm supposed to do?

The white part is the intake turbine - air goes in the hole & out into the carb, you don't need to pipe that bit, just connect it to the carb. You need to pipe both sides of the black part ( well technically you can leave one open if the engine is outside, otherwise you need to pipe exhaust out to keep the engine cool ).

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-08-14, 07:24 PM
There is that price that contacts with carburettor when properly placed.
2017-08-14, 07:26 PM
(2017-08-13 10:08 PM)Skyer Wrote:  Thats how suposed to be done fox

The part that the white is wrapped around, Skyler.
2017-08-14, 07:27 PM
(2017-08-14 02:06 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  
(2017-08-13 04:48 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.co...657B90B39/

The white part is the intake turbine - air goes in the hole & out into the carb, you don't need to pipe that bit, just connect it to the carb. You need to pipe both sides of the black part ( well technically you can leave one open if the engine is outside, otherwise you need to pipe exhaust out to keep the engine cool ).

So, I need to make exhaust go into the wide part of the black side, and attach pipes to it's exhaust port?
2017-08-15, 06:00 PM
Any port on the black side, it's not directional anymore. Just make sure there's exhaust going in, and if it's inside a room then there's exhaust going out. The white part doesn't need any pipes, just needs the flat side on the carb.

2017-08-16, 05:33 PM
(2017-08-15 06:00 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Any port on the black side, it's not directional anymore. Just make sure there's exhaust going in, and if it's inside a room then there's exhaust going out. The white part doesn't need any pipes, just needs the flat side on the carb.

Ok. Thanks!