Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
SpinBlocksMadness
Yesterday, 07:06 AM
RE: SpinBlocksMadness
Muahahaha I dig that like...a lot Big Grin

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 08:27 AM by Gladyon.)
I'm afraid Nick is right about the wheels.
The problem is that we're stuck with Unity on that one, and if Unity has a limitation (or more exactly, the limitation is coming from PhysX 3.3) there's nothing we can do.
The only way would be to re-code the wheels from scratch, which is totally out of a question because wheels are about the most frightening nightmare a coder can face in his life.

About the placing of blocks on SpinBlocks, I'm sure Nick has its reasons (at least for some of the blocks).
Of course it is possible to change that, by modifying the '.item' files.
You can do it using the BlocksCustomizer mod.
You need to set the variable 'ExtraSettings.PlaceableOnSubConstructable' to '2'.
Here is what you must write in the 'CustomBlocks.txt' file:
Code:
" " ExtraSettings.PlaceableOnSubConstructable = 2

With that, all blocks will be possible to place on a SubConstruct that is on a compatible construct type (you will still be unable to place air pumps on a fortress).

About the nice drawing, well, what can I say?
Nick has his priorities, and I have another set of priorities. That's why I do things he doesn't, and he does things I don't.

For example, I optimized the code for the explosions, which is a mistake.
It is a mistake because this code will likely be replace one day, by a better algorithm, so I have lost the time of the optimization.
But that is from Nick's point of view (I'm sure he will optimize one day, but when things will be stabilized).
From my point of view, I wanted to fix the SubConstruct bug linked to the explosions, which was possible for me because I fixed the collision thing about the SubConstructs.
So, I am in another situation than Nick, I had to change the algorithm a little, so I decided to spend a few more hours on the same subject by optimizing the algorithm.
And from there, it was possible to expand the radius of the explosion without hurting the performance too much (if the radius stay 'reasonable').

As you see, it's just that we have a different set of priorities.
Nick is perfectly able to put SpinBlocks on SubConstructs if he wants to.
In fact, from what I saw from his code and the way he fixes bugs, he's in the best 5% of coders I ever met (which the only reason I mod FtD, I wouldn't do it if the main dev of the game weren't that good).

[edit] Just a thing I forgot about placing the blocks on a SubConstruct.
Sometimes, the block will not work as intended.
For example, the mainframe may not work.
It comes from the way blocks are stored in lists in FtD. There are lists for the current construct (main or sub) and lists for the MainConstruct only.
I haven't check what works and what do not work (the mainframe could work, I just took it as an example).
Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Take it with humor Gladyon. We all very well know how capable Nick is, just eat the compliment as it is. Big Grin

For the block editing: you can do that in FtD yourself, IreLAN made a video after mod support was first implemented, way back in the days. He simply changed propulsion blocks to be placed on spinblocks, which is now a stock thing.

And tbh, I don't need everything to be spinblock-placeable, takes away the creativity you gotta put into it to find a workaround.

The plausible rest is in your mod. Big Grin

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
Yesterday, 01:02 PM
I have some trouble understanding things that aren't said literally, I'm always a bit unsure of what people really mean (it's even harder in english).
I have made a lot of progress in the last 15 years, but there's still some room for improvement.

Thank you for your support and don't worry, if I'm still on that forum it means you're all a bunch of nice people.