Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A Certain Index of Vehicle Controls
2017-03-22, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-22 01:24 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
RE: A Certain Index of Vehicle Controls
Quote:-Showcase altitude adapting AI cards.

Do I require the heavy weight to properly showcase the struggles a design would have to not crash?

Not really, pretty much everything falls out of the sky if it rolls at a 90° angle to turn, tough making something as HAtastic as my in-game Omeganightmare would not hurt as it certainly showcases the utility of such system more.

Sorry for the delayed respons by the way xD

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-23, 02:39 PM
Wow what a genius idea on your rammer! I can finally make reliable suicide drone without LUA.

I can't wait to see how to make enemy facing drone, too!

Keep your good work!
2017-03-24, 11:41 PM
So here's the first of ARCAGNELL0's suggestions:

The variable roll AI setup for planes.

[Image: 0WLFZcW.jpg]

This vehicle uses a couple of AI mainframes with similar but different Aerial AI Cards and a set of ACBs to alternate between the two.
The two mainframes, Rise and Fall (In the Omega nightmare originally called Climb and Glide) both have the same Aerial AI settings apart from the maximum allowed roll angle. Rise keeps the angle at 30 degrees, Fall holds it at 90.

The plane is heavy to showcase this better but this is a solution when you design a vehicle that cannot maintain altitude while turning at a 90 degree roll. Rather than giving up and choose a smaller angle so it won't fall you can use this setup too keep the best of both worlds.

The ACBs toggle each AI mainframe from ON to COMBAT alternatively, whether the altitude is above or bellow a desired value (200 in the example)

The values you can adjust to your design are the altitude and the Rise's maximum roll angle. If you design can gain altitude with a sharper roll use that. If your design can quickly change it's roll you can also reduce the ACB's altitude value so the switch happens later and your plane can turn for longer.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Variable Roll.blueprint (Size: 56.16 KB / Downloads: 7)

(2016-10-27 12:13 AM)Chromoid Wrote:  AdNecrias, you have earned this:
[Image: EObLzKD.png]
Bear it with pride, my friend. *salute*
Yesterday, 02:09 PM
That is some impressive plane footage. I wish my planes acted like that. However, I am left with more questions than answers.
First, what is the actual advantage of a plane using this system over one without?
Do roll thrusters play an important part in this, or can one rely only on ailerons?
Could this system be extended to give more options of flight to aircraft? For example, change the altitude for dive bombers.
Yesterday, 04:48 PM
(Yesterday 02:09 PM)skratchR Wrote:  That is some impressive plane footage. I wish my planes acted like that. However, I am left with more questions than answers.
First, what is the actual advantage of a plane using this system over one without?
Do roll thrusters play an important part in this, or can one rely only on ailerons?
Could this system be extended to give more options of flight to aircraft? For example, change the altitude for dive bombers.

That exact vehicle cannot do a 90 degree roll turn. If it only had that Aerial card it would plunge into the see turning, it's losing altitude.
It's fully made of heavy armor so it's weight is an issue. I made it so to simulate an heavier, armed vehicle that needs to nose up to maintain height.
If I was using a single AI car i'd have to set the turning roll to be under 45 degrees, using the majority of the vehicles' turning power to gain altitude. This way I can set it to 90, using all the available turning power (nose up) to turn.
The ailerons were enough but the rate that it rolls determines how fast it can adapt to new headings and switch from the two aerial card modes, 90 and 30 degree rolls. The faster you can change this the better, and you can be more strict with minimum altitude to change cards. If the roll switch was instantaneous I could have the card switch happen at 10 or 20 meters above the water, allowing the plane to maximum turn until it reached that low altitude, and then climb back up.

TL;DR: this systems allows sharper turns to heavier aircraft. Ailerons are enough, but keep in mind you need quite a few.

This idea of changing cards with ACBs can be used for several other options. An example is what Arcagnello's Calamity does, which I'll be simplifying and showcasing. It uses two aerial cards for two different attack patterns. If a target is too far away it lowers minimum deviation angle and closes in straight at the target. Once it reaches it's combat distance it changes card to a big minimum deviation angle so that it's always orbiting the target at 45 degrees. The way it is constructed the plane actually nearly strafes, mostly facing the hostile target throughout the orbit.
You could also use such a distance based card switch to try to do dive bombers. But what I've seen from the aerial AI makes it tricky for the AI to properly follow the altitude changes, fine tunning would be required.

(2016-10-27 12:13 AM)Chromoid Wrote:  AdNecrias, you have earned this:
[Image: EObLzKD.png]
Bear it with pride, my friend. *salute*
Yesterday, 09:34 PM
I understand now, thank you. This will prove useful for the project i am working on right now, i think:
[Image: j55SinJ.jpg]