Poll: What do you want to see next?
Aircraft of some sort.
More ships
Land vehicles.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
[BP Dump] Serpentine Republic [NEW Crossbow Gunboat]
2017-04-20, 09:37 AM
RE: [BP Dump] Serpentine Republic [NEW Crossbow Gunboat]
(2017-04-20 08:29 AM)Eagle Wrote:  Taken out the Shield for a spin now, as well. She's a good looking ship! Nicely crafted hull, nice looking turrets, overall quality; good.
She's a sturdy craft, too. Can take a proper beating and not whine about it. I've taken her on with the Conquest Destroyer, which is similar priced, at 57k. I've spawned both ships 3000m apart and both on enemy factions.
Right from the start, problems arise for the Shield. Even though her cannon loadout is much heftier than that of the Conquest, the Conquest does more damage. I'll adress the three biggest problems by using screenshots:

First problem:
[Image: kUzZqMv.jpg]

Second problem:
[Image: LHv2WLL.jpg]

Third problem:
[Image: ymT7NKK.jpg]

Guessed it?
The first problem is accuracy, range and shell speed. While your guns put out a lot of shells, they tend to miss horribly because the shell speed is 155m/s, which even against ships is just aweful. The accuracy is horrid as well, at 0,6 degrees. I find anything above 0,5 degrees a no go, as your guns will perform as good as the average stormtrooper, or A-team baddy, or any B-actionmovie badguy, really. As your range is only 1300m, what will you shoot with it?
I've decided to alter the loadout somewhat, and have reconfigured the main ammo to be faster shells (now 348m/s), with better range (3.2km) and have loaded the gun with tracer rounds to improve accuracy. It would be better altogether if you lengthened the barrels or reduced the gauge to further improve accuracy, but it should at the very minimum be better now.
Set up your LWC's too, a common mistake is that people tend to not set LWC restrictions, and so your guns will fire at everything even if they'll always miss because out of range, at depth, etc...

Problem 2:
Your missiles are on turrets. While nice, the disadvantage of not having set restrictions on the turret base is that your gun will shoot the boat itself. In the picture you see an EMP wave, but my ship doesn't carry EMP charges... Either set up the turret restrictions or replace the turret bases with spinblocks which deploy when an enemy comes into range.
Set up the turret restrictions on ALL turrets, too. I've noticed multiple turrets getting stuck and in a few occassions mutilating other turrets because the gun wanted to shoot through it...

Problem 3:
No Anti-Missile/Anti-Torp defences...
This was your downfall, again, really. The Conquest is not that powerful, but has a good missile array which will absolutely shred ships of similar size that don't have proper defences (speed, agility, active defences). The CIWS does its job, but isn't really good at it, and once that's gone your ship has no further defences... Try to at least place some flares to ward off a part of the incoming missiles, it'll save your skin, as well as some torpedo defences.
I also expected that the missile turrets would be torpedo turrets, as your ship has no means to defend itself against subs, no sonar bouys, no offensive capacity.

Overall, she's a looker. I do like the build quality and the value for money, but she's not finished yet. If you adress the problems you'll get more bang for your buck Smile

These are not campaign ships. The shield is listed as an "Easy" vehicle because it's got low firepower and relies on being tanky-ish to surface fire to defend other ships. I will do something about the torps and turret restrictions though. I also will extend gun barrels since although it looks silly I do want this to be reasonably tough and not end up like the SS Kyoko, a weak ship in a strong faction. Also, the crossbow was already getting flares before you mentioned it. I already had that upgrade prepared and along with the shield fixes/updates I will release it today. Thanks for analysing my ships btw. It helps a lot that people point out what I can improve with my builds. I mostly made these for looks and because I like building stuff like this, but I do want them to be around Regular SS difficulty, so I will make changes to some like you said.

Also, like you said the crossbow is meant to take on larger ships in groups when the torpedos can pummel the hull. It performs a lot better like that. Once again. thanks for constructive criticism rather than saying it sucks.

Please check out my BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-20, 09:53 AM
It doesn't need a whole lot of work to make it much better, and you did get one thing right; it's really tanky and awefully resilient against enemy fire.
What is important as well; you did get the looks right. I rather see a pretty ship that underperforms than an underwhelming looking ship that performs decent. But that is just my thing.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-04-20, 10:25 AM
(2017-04-20 09:53 AM)Eagle Wrote:  It doesn't need a whole lot of work to make it much better, and you did get one thing right; it's really tanky and awefully resilient against enemy fire.
What is important as well; you did get the looks right. I rather see a pretty ship that underperforms than an underwhelming looking ship that performs decent. But that is just my thing.

Things we share. Most of my ships are on the low side performance-wise or just slightly tweaked to do what I envision them to do, but I scrap them if they are not up to the prettiness I want...they struggle against many regular builds in 1on1s...Big Grin

Nevertheless, this one here is good at what it is intended to do.

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
2017-04-20, 11:04 AM
Shield equipped with sonar defences, proper failsafe setups, new AA guns that don't clip into the ship and also do more damage overall, a flak CIWS instead of frag, flares and a little extra armour at the front.
Crossbow equipped with flares and reduced drag allowing it to move faster than before.

Please check out my BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.