Poll: My feeling on the multiplayer (in it's current state) is....
It's extremely important to me
It's very important to me - please leave it alone
I'm happy either way
I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish
I don't use it or very seldom use it
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Multiplayer
2017-08-08, 09:59 PM
RE: Multiplayer
just voted to give it up. it was nice to fool around or try to build something together, but its far from important as long as we can trade blueprints.
i am surprised that 47% voted to leave it in... nearly got a majority there...
since it was so close, if its not too much work, maybe leave some form of multiplayer in? maybe building only? just to collaborate or give tours, etc. etc.
on the other hand, that can be handled by just transfering blueprints....
ah just scrap it, factorio wasted 2 years of developement time and it still breaks something every other patch and only a tiny percentage of players use it at all.
multiplayer on a shooter is easily done, on something as complex as FTD or Factorio its a freaking neverending nightmare.(if you have 3 elite coders and 2 millions on the bank, if not, its just silly)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-09, 12:26 AM
Well, multiplayer is definitely staying in for the time being, quoth Nick himself, not simply because more people want it in than want it out but, as he said, simply because a significant amount of people do use it at all.
I am happy with this. Despite some instability I think it's very well integrated already and my experience is that it works quickly and well most of the time. It does have some bugs... But hey, the game's in alpha, the whole game has some bugs.
2017-08-15, 01:37 AM
I think it would be a fun idea to modify multiplayer slighty. What if you took a a 4x4 tile map and had multiplayer duels, such as a starting resource zone where you spawn and another resource zone in the center. Both are massive resource zones, infinite resource and say 20 per second. The center zone having infinite and 15 resource per second. Both players attempt to conquer and hold the center resource zone using their own crafts. The map would have randomized terrain, the spawn could be on land or water, and the center resource zone would be on either land or water. This creates a sense of the unknown and makes strategies different every time. By limiting resource production to an extent you remove a lot of lag as people attempt to conquer the other player as fast as possible, they don't have a whole lot of time to spawn in and build large crafts early on. This also will help with finding a finer game balance to all weapon systems and block stats. I think it's a wonderful idea and would like to see it implemented, however it is only an idea.
2017-08-15, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-15 09:57 AM by Normal69.)
(2017-08-15 01:37 AM)Mousefan Wrote:  I think it would be a fun idea to modify multiplayer slighty. What if you took a a 4x4 tile map and had multiplayer duels, such as a starting resource zone where you spawn and another resource zone in the center. Both are massive resource zones, infinite resource and say 20 per second. The center zone having infinite and 15 resource per second. Both players attempt to conquer and hold the center resource zone using their own crafts. The map would have randomized terrain, the spawn could be on land or water, and the center resource zone would be on either land or water. This creates a sense of the unknown and makes strategies different every time. By limiting resource production to an extent you remove a lot of lag as people attempt to conquer the other player as fast as possible, they don't have a whole lot of time to spawn in and build large crafts early on. This also will help with finding a finer game balance to all weapon systems and block stats. I think it's a wonderful idea and would like to see it implemented, however it is only an idea.

All can be done really simply in campaign editor, except the random terrain.
The main problem is you can set up more player factions, but they can have only out of play vehicles except player #1. ;(

Was there did that, stopped and waiting for overhaul. Smile

------------------------

Also there are multiplayer game modes similar what you've described too.
Maybe you need just look around? Wink

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

"Why did you reposted your question, there is a thread for that already"
versus
"Why didn't you made a new topic, instead necroing this one"
Humanz Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-19, 12:08 PM
I primarily play campaign with my brother in a 2 player match, it's actually what we're trying to do now...
may i suggest a compromise however? instead of trying to make new features compatible with MP, focus on the single player aspect, and simply strip it as needed, for example make a feature for SP first, and then tweak it to mp later down the line, the advantage is the ability to implement without the hassles immediately, but means two development forks.

but as it stands, i'm actually rather happy with the game core, so is my brother. I can certainly see however that network sync is a pain, maybe try simplified systems? have each user do the processing for themselves and share AI, but unless it seems funky, simply trust the user.
would move a large portion of the bugs to client side issues, allowing for easier tracking. although i'm just guessing the game does not already do that anyway.

truthfully, at the end of the day, your the one making the game, and we are not able to determine the advantages and disadvantages you are capable of seeing. and i admit a game like this requires the community, but if progress stops, then the game dies anyway.

i apologise for the short novel...
srs008
2017-08-19, 05:04 PM
(2017-08-19 12:08 PM)srs008 Wrote:  make a feature for SP first, and then tweak it to mp later down the line

that's not how development works

gets high on math