Poll: My feeling on the multiplayer (in it's current state) is....
It's extremely important to me
It's very important to me - please leave it alone
I'm happy either way
I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish
I don't use it or very seldom use it
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Multiplayer
2017-04-16, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-16 03:12 PM by Azver.)
RE: Multiplayer
Went with extremely important. I've had 3 other people buy the game and we've played together. My total playtime in steam is 344 hours, from which around 60 or so are MP I'd imagine.

There's a sense of tinkering together that just doesnt' exist in other games, and I'd be sad to see it go. Now if that's what is needed I'll understand it, but I'd guess I'd cut down on FTD because everything is more fun when you do it together with people.

The question is, I'd imagine, does it fit within the scope of the game. As it is I'm more than content to the value proposition for what I paid for the game; and I'd even argue that if this is all it'll ever be, I'd be a happy camper and still play it. Now if the answer is no, it's not like I would throw a tantrum. But at the same time, would it make more sense to bring it to somewhat to a close, and leave the last MP enabled game as a optional beta download, or maybe take the lessons learned here and apply them to another title?

Anyway, if it does kick the bucket, I wish we would have the option for the last MP version, no matter how you end up doing it. Smile

And yes, I did register just to say this instead of lurking.>

Edit:
Also, things that are Co-op to such depth are rare. I value things that are co-op because I'm spaghetti in competitive games. So my point of view is skewed heavily due to this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-19, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-19 06:19 PM by Uthael.)
Little story:

When I play Minecraft, I play a modpack with 100+ mods in it. Java version, not C++. This means it's horrible performance-wise. But it's also very moddable. And people have cracked more than they should, replacing some parts of the game with their own write-ups.

Most people see this as a risk. They'd never download a 3rd party launcher. C++ version is only slightly moddable. It's stable. It's fast. You can increase the rendering distance by several times, making the game process and render an exponentially larger area. In both versions of the game, you can build towns, castles, terraform, make redstone contraptions and flying machines. So why play Java at all? It's always outdated anyway.

Yes, outdated by the version number. But those mods not only offer new content, but add to gameplay. Some are also performance-oriented, without which the game would be slow and unstable. The community is split and the game gets pirated a lot. Regardless, it remained popular because new, innovative stuff emerged. For example, Inventory Tweaks, Tinker's Construct, JourneyMap, NEI, Applied Energistics 2, GregTech, etc.

I'd sugest that you consider splitting the community here, too and add a less-official game release. Give modders more access than to just edit some variables and affect models. Since the gameplay itself ain't really for action-oriented 12-yo's, but for more serious group of people, the bad consequences should be minimal. And you'll get back a whole lot of development time spent by enthusiastic players for that price. A few would probably know and want to optimize the game for multiplayer.

P.S.: I'm aware that it's probably not that simple. Just tossing the idea here. Somehing might come out of it somewhere, some day.

Edit: As for the poll, I use it very rarely, but it's extremely important to me. Last time I tried, we couldn't even connect properly. That's why "rarely". Lately, I'm just designing a Deathstar to use against Neter which would be banned in MP. Would gladly abbandon the project to get back to designing ship-to-ship with a buddy. Thrilled to see MP efforts on the roadmap, no matter how long it takes!
2017-05-05, 04:01 AM
@Nick, please close the poll, people are just arguing now.

At this time 8:00pm PST 5/4/2017 the poll is:

It's extremely important to me* 173 - 32.70%
It's very important to me - please leave it alone 72 - 13.61%
Total for Multi-Player 245 - 46.31%

I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish 112 - 21.17%
I don't use it or very seldom use it 111 - 20.98%
Total against Multi-Player 223 - 42.15%

P.S: I left out, I'm happy either way, they are happy either way. 61 - 11.53%
2017-05-05, 05:21 AM
Hey, good vid. I wonder what happened to Scr0at...
2017-05-05, 08:27 AM
Please stop posting here, this thread is done and dealt with

And the result, Multiplayer is staying. PERIOD!

[Image: BI0qaev.gif]

You say insane, I say reasonable and logical

[Image: Screenshot_2017-03-12_12.08.10.png]
2017-05-09, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-05-09 10:36 PM by Sentinel75.)
Ok, here is my opinion:

As hard as it is to work with multiplayer, it is still a very important part of the game. 1) Players can share their experience and help others with the game AND their builds much easier by showing people directly what they know live. 2) Collaborative builds will be very hard and tedious without multiplayer. 3) Many people will be angry with this decision and will quit and maybe even demand their money back (I have seen people actually say this) which would not be good for the games reputation. 4) People need to be social. A person who sits in their room all day (or even a few hours) playing a game by themselves is not healthy (Not trying to be 'scientific' here, but it is the truth). 5) In a lot of people's opinion, playing this game with other people is generally more fun. You get to work, and win (or fail ;-Wink with others.

And to mrvecz (comment on page 1), there are many, many, MANY multiplayer building games and indie games that have multiplayer. And yes, I know the poll is over, multiplayer is staying, I wanted to share my opinion.
2017-05-10, 05:43 AM
(2017-05-09 10:35 PM)Sentinel75 Wrote:  And to mrvecz (comment on page 1), there are many, many, MANY multiplayer building games and indie games that have multiplayer. And yes, I know the poll is over, multiplayer is staying, I wanted to share my opinion.

And how many of them were designed for MP from ground up ?

FTD was not, MP was afterthought and it shows

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-05-11, 06:18 PM
I didn't use to play multiplayer, but recently I have just made a treaty and I would really be a shame if it goes. Multiplayer is enjoyable in its current state, let alone if it could be improved.
2017-05-18, 03:09 AM
I don't use the multiplayer right now because the game is so large and complex that:

A) I don't know that my computer could handle it.
B) After over 1000 hours of play I still feel like a bit of a novice.
C) I've never had even remote success at the campaign.

I'm really enjoying the complexity of the engineering process, and I really appreciate the power afforded by the Steam workshop to share builds and receive commentary. It's highly possible that I'm just such a hack that the idea of using multiplayer is just not something I'd be up to as an individual player, but I also wonder if multiplayer (while admittedly having huge potential for hours of fun) might be better to postpone until the game is more highly optimized?

“Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal.”—Lionel Trilling