Poll: My feeling on the multiplayer (in it's current state) is....
It's extremely important to me
It's very important to me - please leave it alone
I'm happy either way
I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish
I don't use it or very seldom use it
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Multiplayer
2017-01-13, 02:32 AM
RE: Multiplayer
Calm down everyone Nick said he would keep multiplayer

[Image: DrBGmGy.png]

Join the Universal Supreme Alliance!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-13, 02:09 PM
I feel like most games are just more fun when played with friends, but from the depths seems to be a exception.

But FTD is a very unique game, when I played with someone else I found that there is very little co-operation that can be done, each player has to do something different, even if it is working on the same craft. I feel like the multiplayer is just single player but with lag and missing features.
The design of the game is clearly single player oriented and while I have no problem with the addition of a co-op mode, if it is holding the progress of the game back then I would be glad to see it go.
Find all posts by this user
2017-01-13, 03:30 PM
A query/suggestion; would it be possible to have certain elements of development listed as 'multiplayer safe' i.e. those components whose netcode does not resemble the gordian knot and/or currently functional multiplayer elements, and certain elements listed as 'singleplayer safe' allowing for more ambitious feature development, with the progression from singleplayer to multiplayer safe not being guaranteed? In this way, feature production is not hamstrung, and those who have the coding acumen and time can work (if they so choose) on bringing things from A to B without slowing down the progression of the game. I recall that this approach was taken up with some success by the minecraft modding community in its early days, before singleplayer became a locally hosted multiplayer server.

Is this reasonable given the underlying code architecture of FTD? It seems to me that if it is, it represents a minimal time investment with a high potential reward and avoids a more dramatic schism in the community.

Thoughts?
2017-01-13, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-13 04:05 PM by Varien101.)
I personally don't find multiplayer fun because it's broke TBH. But there are ALWAYS people playing multiplayer whenever I start FTD.

9 out of 10 games that I own or regularly play have MP, and if a game does not have it, I typically don't purchase it. If it wasn't for the forum tournaments I wouldn't play FTD. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I LOVE creating ships for the tournaments and get many many hours of enjoyment out of it.

FTD is a great game, better then many other games I've paid more for lol.

What more can we ask for? We have an active developer who talks with the community, replies to us, asks us for our opinions. This very thread is proof that FTD is 99% better then the other 100 games in my steam library.

And to answer the question, yes multiplayer should stay even at the cost to the single player game. It's not my cup of tea, but others enjoy it. I streamed FTD for about a month and the #1 request was for people to play MP with me and I indulged them regardless of how I felt about it.

Edit: When I say broken, I mean the COOP campaign and not being able to engage in battles, or building a ship and certain parts don't work like they should. I've seen plenty of youtube video's where the multiplayer works just fine.
Today, 03:58 PM
In all honesty, i bought this game for the multiplayer, the game interested me and a couple of friends, we played a decent amount of hours of the game together before we stopped playing due to multiplayer being broken from an update, we have not gone back to this game since because the multiplayer is so unstable during campaigns. I keep on monitoring this game in hopes of stable multiplayer, but at this point the only play i get out of this game is about 1 hour every month now, when i decide to work on a ship.

In conclusion i would prefer that multiplayer kept on being worked on, i understand its difficult sometimes to get multiplayer to work correctly and i understand the constraints on time, and i don't have any ideas on how to make it more easy beside hiring some staff.

I just thought i should voice my reasoning as to why i bought that game and what makes myself enjoy the game.