Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
How to laser shotgun: this is how you make lasers on small units combat effective!
2017-04-09, 09:00 PM
RE: How to laser shotgun: this is how you make lasers on small units combat effective!
Hmm. Well I've wanted to look into how to build better laser systems than my simple unit blocks, so I'll take a gander!

“Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal.”—Lionel Trilling
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-17, 04:17 AM
RE: How to laser shotgun: this is how you make lasers on small units combat effective!
Must say I enjoyed using this method to make the new Sagittarion. It works like a charm, ripping deep holes straight through hulls. Thanks Arc.
2017-05-17, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-05-17 07:48 PM by draba.)
Can't check prices but I think you can do the same thing better with more Q-switches.
Adding more destabilizers/line(or storage cavities/pump cavities, but that's more expensive) will get a 4Q up to similar or higher damage/shot at double the energy-efficiency.
If you are already paying for frequency doublers/optics/pumps it could be better to go that way.
Just adding a second Q-switch and storage cavity increases damage by ~40%.

Edit:
Tried it, it works.
After converting the attached blueprint to 4Q and adding just 2 storage cavities + 1 destabilizer/line it uses roughly the same 180K energy / burst, but gives twice the damage.
Downside is apparently 4Q can only shoot doubles/optic line, if you really want to maximize damage/shot use 3Q for a still decent ~70% boost.
Downside is it will be bad at overwhelming shields, but if 2.0 hits things could get interesting.
2017-05-20, 05:00 PM
Your theoretical dps will always increase with more q switches as it will increase your energy to damage conversion. However this damage is spread out over more shots, so if your aim is to poke holes it doesn't work as well unless you have a super long optic line.
2017-05-20, 05:41 PM
(2017-05-20 05:00 PM)SynthTwo Wrote:  Your theoretical dps will always increase with more q switches as it will increase your energy to damage conversion. However this damage is spread out over more shots, so if your aim is to poke holes it doesn't work as well unless you have a super long optic line.

Nope, that's exactly my point: more Q switches increase damage/energy spent, just need a few more storage cavities and you get more damage/shot with the same setup.
Exception is 4Q, it always shoots at least twice so it will double the amount of shots and total damage instead.
2017-05-22, 05:36 PM
I mean don't get me wrong I agree with you and frankly I feel that in the current game there is never a reason to use less than 4 switches however I was giving a possible reason he wanted to use less.
2017-06-11, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-06-11 07:08 PM by Supercowswag.)
Having 4 q switches leads to higher dps...thats a given, nothing to argue....But having 1-3 q switches leads to actually piercing into the enemy.

not to mention that first shot matters the most before smoke starts to build up...

You could probably make a laser system that fires once every 20 seconds or longer in order to break smoke systems that only activate when hit by lasers....imagine a laser that acts like a particle cannon.

Now all good designs have backups for everything...but putting a small 1x1 hole in the right spot will still cripple ANYTHING even to the smallest extent.
2017-06-11, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-03 07:39 AM by draba.)
(2017-06-11 06:59 PM)Supercowswag Wrote:  Having 4 q switches leads to higher dps...thats a given, nothing to argue....But having 1-3 q switches leads to actually piercing into the enemy.

not to mention that first shot matters the most before smoke starts to build up...

You could probably make a laser system that fires once every 20 seconds or longer in order to break smoke systems that only activate when hit by lasers....imagine a laser that acts like a particle cannon.

Now all good designs have backups for everything...but putting a small 1x1 hole in the right spot will still cripple ANYTHING even to the smallest extent.

I understand what you are saying, higher damage/shot is better.
My point is 3Q gives more damage/laser energy spent(70% more than 1Q), so you can actually get higher damage/shot with the same cost.
Just have to add some Q switches and extra storage cavities.
4Q breaks even in damage/shot with 1Q, but gives double firerate.

This"ll change in the 2.0 update though.

Edit
Ok, I see where the confusion comes from so I'll spell it out Smile
After converting to 3/4Q firerate is obviously limited in the LWC, just like in the first post.

TL;DR: 1Q/2Q are literally useless, go for at least 3.