Thread Rating:
  • 52 Votes - 4.52 Average
(post your) Teaser
Yesterday, 02:08 AM
RE: (post your) Teaser
Update on the Harbringer: finished laser systems including routing, finsihed superstructure and did some ascetic and defensive changes. Doesn't fly when using lasers and needs shields, working well though. Any suggestions on the superstructure? Seems a bit much to me.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 02:57 AM
For my first post in the FtD forums, I submit a teaser for some Star Trek themed models. All three can be operated manually or by AI.

- Full-scale cargo shuttle Onizuka

[Image: 9FbKT7T.png]

- Half-scale model of Saladin-class destroyer USS Cochise

[Image: o1fy3ca.png]

- Half-scale model of Constitution-class cruiser USS Enterprise

[Image: CeUYkYl.png]

I don't know if anyone has built these before. I made a point not to search for Star Trek models in FtD until I finished sculpting the outer hull of Enterprise. It was constructed using the Star Fleet Technical Manual from the original series as a reference, as well as photos of the Smithsonian model and screenshots from the original series.

The Cochise model includes a Bridge interior set. The Enterprise model includes a Bridge set with turbolift to Engineering and other sets in the secondary hull. About 90% of the consoles on the bridge actually control some aspect of the vessel, except for a couple that looked too cool not to include them as set dressing. Consoles are logically grouped into stations that map to FtD functions more than Star Trek layouts. Warp and impulse drives are controlled from the Engineering station, weapon targeting and firing at Weapons, autopilot controls at the Helm, sensors and mainframe at Science, shields and damage control at the Defense station.

[Image: 5OKuNxf.png]

There's even a shuttlebay. The shuttle is not a combat craft, its only defense is speed and altitude. It can be an effective dropship for skydiving boarding operations. Most of its volume is mining gear and material storage to act as a fleet resupply craft.

[Image: 3JNgPRN.png]

I designed these starships because I can't boat. I completed the FtD tutorials and started an easy campaign. Couldn't make a boat work, so I built small aircraft instead. I met the Deepwater Guard and learned how to build missiles. I met the White Flayers and learned how to make submarines. I met the Onyx Watch and took a successful minisub design and turned it into a stratobomber.

Then I met the Lightning Hoods and their lasers mauled everything in my stable. I could keep them from advancing into my territory with minisubs in deep water, and I could harass a flotilla of their ships with swarms of small laser-shielded bombers, but I couldn't touch them otherwise. (I didn't know about smoke, or so many other things.)

So the next step would be to either crank out hordes of the small craft I already had, or scale up to massive boomer-style subs and develop something that could survive massed lasers in the air. While exploring the options available in the FtD toolbox, I hit on a notion.

The notion was to determine whether FtD could effectively model Star Trek tech.
  • Long-range sensors (Strategic antenna)
  • Short-range sensors (AI detection systems)
  • Shields
  • Phasers (Lasers)
  • Photon torpedoes (Missiles)
  • Fusion/antimatter reactors (RTGs)
  • Impulse drive (Ion thrusters)
  • Warp drive (FtD has more of a BSG-Reboot spool/jump system)
  • Tractor beam
  • Transporter (Teleporter)
  • Deflector dish, used for a variety of purposes throughout the Star Trek franchise (Particle cannon)
The test is whether there is sufficient space inside these models for all of these systems, sufficient power density to operate them, and whether they can survive alone in a campaign setting. To test this I started a new medium-difficulty (not customized) Neter campaign. Thus far I have only encountered the Deepwater Guard, White Flayers, Onyx Watch and Lightning Hoods. I know nothing of the rest and it remains to be seen how these designs fare against the rest of Neter.

I could use some advice regarding these outstanding issues:
  • The neon lights I'm using as roof tiles for the prop shuttle keep spawning with default settings, which makes them a white light that is blinding when the ACBs make them all flash with the running lights. I can reconfigure each one (18 in all) or I can remove and replace them as a prefab with settings saved, but it seems to lose these each time the vessel spawns in the designer.
  • I constructed the shuttlebay to fit the shuttle inside and use spinblock-mounted hangar doors. The problem is, the shuttle would come in at a slight angle on the azimuth and crash into (or endlessly bounce off) the side of the hangar. I had to change the tractor range to park the shuttle on the fantail like a truck at a loading dock instead of pulling it inside. Is there a way to make a tractored vessel come straight in?
  • Walking about the interior of the ship, my avatar doesn't stick to the floor or follow the pitch of the vessel, but floats around the ceiling. Pressing ALT doesn't go down so its boots will stick to the deck. Pressing SPACE twice flings it outside the ship to float away. How do I turn on the artificial gravity?
Yesterday, 03:58 AM
(Yesterday 02:57 AM)Torquimedes Wrote:  For my first post in the FtD forums, I submit a teaser for some Star Trek themed models. All three can be operated manually or by AI.

- Full-scale cargo shuttle Onizuka

[Image: 9FbKT7T.png]

- Half-scale model of Saladin-class destroyer USS Cochise

[Image: o1fy3ca.png]

- Half-scale model of Constitution-class cruiser USS Enterprise

[Image: CeUYkYl.png]

I don't know if anyone has built these before. I made a point not to search for Star Trek models in FtD until I finished sculpting the outer hull of Enterprise. It was constructed using the Star Fleet Technical Manual from the original series as a reference, as well as photos of the Smithsonian model and screenshots from the original series.

The Cochise model includes a Bridge interior set. The Enterprise model includes a Bridge set with turbolift to Engineering and other sets in the secondary hull. About 90% of the consoles on the bridge actually control some aspect of the vessel, except for a couple that looked too cool not to include them as set dressing. Consoles are logically grouped into stations that map to FtD functions more than Star Trek layouts. Warp and impulse drives are controlled from the Engineering station, weapon targeting and firing at Weapons, autopilot controls at the Helm, sensors and mainframe at Science, shields and damage control at the Defense station.

[Image: 5OKuNxf.png]

There's even a shuttlebay. The shuttle is not a combat craft, its only defense is speed and altitude. It can be an effective dropship for skydiving boarding operations. Most of its volume is mining gear and material storage to act as a fleet resupply craft.

[Image: 3JNgPRN.png]

I designed these starships because I can't boat. I completed the FtD tutorials and started an easy campaign. Couldn't make a boat work, so I built small aircraft instead. I met the Deepwater Guard and learned how to build missiles. I met the White Flayers and learned how to make submarines. I met the Onyx Watch and took a successful minisub design and turned it into a stratobomber.

Then I met the Lightning Hoods and their lasers mauled everything in my stable. I could keep them from advancing into my territory with minisubs in deep water, and I could harass a flotilla of their ships with swarms of small laser-shielded bombers, but I couldn't touch them otherwise. (I didn't know about smoke, or so many other things.)

So the next step would be to either crank out hordes of the small craft I already had, or scale up to massive boomer-style subs and develop something that could survive massed lasers in the air. While exploring the options available in the FtD toolbox, I hit on a notion.

The notion was to determine whether FtD could effectively model Star Trek tech.
  • Long-range sensors (Strategic antenna)
  • Short-range sensors (AI detection systems)
  • Shields
  • Phasers (Lasers)
  • Photon torpedoes (Missiles)
  • Fusion/antimatter reactors (RTGs)
  • Impulse drive (Ion thrusters)
  • Warp drive (FtD has more of a BSG-Reboot spool/jump system)
  • Tractor beam
  • Transporter (Teleporter)
  • Deflector dish, used for a variety of purposes throughout the Star Trek franchise (Particle cannon)
The test is whether there is sufficient space inside these models for all of these systems, sufficient power density to operate them, and whether they can survive alone in a campaign setting. To test this I started a new medium-difficulty (not customized) Neter campaign. Thus far I have only encountered the Deepwater Guard, White Flayers, Onyx Watch and Lightning Hoods. I know nothing of the rest and it remains to be seen how these designs fare against the rest of Neter.

I could use some advice regarding these outstanding issues:
  • The neon lights I'm using as roof tiles for the prop shuttle keep spawning with default settings, which makes them a white light that is blinding when the ACBs make them all flash with the running lights. I can reconfigure each one (18 in all) or I can remove and replace them as a prefab with settings saved, but it seems to lose these each time the vessel spawns in the designer.
  • I constructed the shuttlebay to fit the shuttle inside and use spinblock-mounted hangar doors. The problem is, the shuttle would come in at a slight angle on the azimuth and crash into (or endlessly bounce off) the side of the hangar. I had to change the tractor range to park the shuttle on the fantail like a truck at a loading dock instead of pulling it inside. Is there a way to make a tractored vessel come straight in?
  • Walking about the interior of the ship, my avatar doesn't stick to the floor or follow the pitch of the vessel, but floats around the ceiling. Pressing ALT doesn't go down so its boots will stick to the deck. Pressing SPACE twice flings it outside the ship to float away. How do I turn on the artificial gravity?
They NEED more paint. I'd also suggest redoing them 1:1 if you want better interiors.

Combined Communities Front Directorate
Kiso best Light Cruiser. Nagato Best BB.
2600 Hours Ingame and Counting
Yesterday, 01:33 PM
As soon as you touch the ground you should be stuck to it until you double tap space. Set the dockers maximum approach azimuth (or something like that) low until it works. Set approach elevation lower if it comes in too high or low as well. I don't use light so not sure about them.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

(Yesterday 03:58 AM)ComradeGreen Wrote:  They NEED more paint. I'd also suggest redoing them 1:1 if you want better interiors.

If I can find a shade of flat grey that doesn't dull the navigational lights, I may take the time to point the thousands of blocks that make up the hull. At a distance, Light Armor is close enough to the original models.

At 1:2 scale they are large enough to accommodate my operational requirements. Enterprise already has a fully functional Bridge and Shuttlebay and enough interior space to fill with Engineering, Transporter, Sickbay, Galley and crew quarters sets if I wanted them.

(Yesterday 01:33 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  As soon as you touch the ground you should be stuck to it until you double tap space.

For context, the ship is flying on Aerial AI at 75m/s at 1600m altitude with a pitch-down of 10 degrees. When my avatar leaves a chair, it moves on a level plane, not matching the pitch of the deck. Moving aft it will slide up the deck, moving forward it will lift off and slide across the ceiling. It doesn't stick to the floor as I would expect the magboots to work. This makes it difficult to navigate the interior.

(Yesterday 01:33 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Set the dockers maximum approach azimuth (or something like that) low until it works. Set approach elevation lower if it comes in too high or low as well.

I should've mentioned the tractor beam constraints were already set to minimum. The cargo shuttle may just have to dock outside.

(Yesterday 01:33 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I don't use light so not sure about them.

I fixed those lights by adding an ACB to the prop shuttle to switch lights off on spawn, with just enough radius to reach the desired tiles. I also had to remove its seats because beaming up to the ship seems to drop you into a random chair. I beamed up from a boarding operation and appeared inside the prop shuttle while the ship was under heavy fire. I had to exit the shuttle, then the Shuttlebay, down the corridor and into the turbolift to get to the bridge. This was challenging with the ship rocking about while I wasn't attached to the floor.
Yesterday, 10:10 PM
(Yesterday 07:04 PM)Torquimedes Wrote:  If I can find a shade of flat grey that doesn't dull the navigational lights, I may take the time to point the thousands of blocks that make up the hull. At a distance, Light Armor is close enough to the original models.

The not painted blocks are technically painted, with paint 0 that is simply transparent. so you can just change paint 0 to something else and everything will be painted. of course, it also affects the interior

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
Yesterday, 10:45 PM
[Image: 9FnDJIZ.jpg]

"Do not meddle with the affairs of destroyers, for their aim is true and torpedoes are deadly."
Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Senkan Yuubari?

Lost are only those who give up on them selves.
Yesterday, 11:02 PM
(Yesterday 10:55 PM)Cairo1 Wrote:  Senkan Yuubari?

Not bad at all.... good guess.

Junyou-Senkan (Battlecruiser) Yuubari.

Admittedly I'm *this* close from substituting the FIVE props for same dimension dediblades due to lack of speed. Motor drive props when devs? T_T

"Do not meddle with the affairs of destroyers, for their aim is true and torpedoes are deadly."