Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4 Average
v1.9551 [dev test only] [APS rebalance v1]
2016-05-30, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-05-30 06:44 PM by Nick Smart.)
v1.9551 [dev test only] [APS rebalance v1]
Hi guys.

Rebalancing the APS system at the moment and this is a very early release of that process for early feedback.

1) Larger caliber shells do more damage and recoil per [reload time/ammo] and smaller shells do less. So larger shells are now higher theoretical DPS. This is offset by the larger components required, more expensive components required, larger barrel lengths required and relatively fewer components per shell. Armour piercing also does not favor large shells very much at the moment. Prior to this patch large caliber were lower DPS as well as having all the drawbacks.

1.b) Cooldown time has gone the opposite way and now scales in the same manner as loading times.

2) Effective range calculation added which essentially calculates a "time of flight before drag kicks in" based on the length of the shell and the relative aerodynamics of it's components. Another way to think of this is the heavier and thinner a shell is the longer it flies before drag affects it. Heavy/Area = length for a cylinder. Obviously the conversion for "time before drag kicks in" to "range before drag kicks in" uses the speed of the shell in the first place. AI cannot aim beyond effective range and neither will will find it pretty hard too.

3) Recoil incurred needs to "settle" after firing. Inaccuracy is incurred from continued firing in a short window. Recoil reducing components will help here. (the inaccuracy build up is based on the recoil the weapon incurs from firing). This takes away some of the advantage of multiple barrel setups as this recoil is per gun, not per barrel. Building a high caliber super cannon that spits heavy fast shells will accumulate a lot of this inaccuracy and that should help to add some balance to the "250mm belt fed HE minigun" thing that people talk about.

4) Barrel length required for optimal accuracy and full propellant burn has been reduced and has a "roll off" factor for high gauges.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-05-30, 06:45 PM
RE: v1.9551 [dev test only] [APS rebalance v1]
I'm also thinking of reworking how reflect shields work so that kinetic damage is taken into account as well as AP.

This will mean larger APS shells should get through reflect shields more of the time due to their huge size and kinetic energy- dispite not being built for high armour piercing. Interested in feedback on this concept.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2016-05-30, 06:49 PM
Oh and note that regarding the recoil addition over time if you fire all 6 barrels instantly you get 6 accurate shots. the inaccuracy builds up to a maximum value 0.2seconds after the firing of the shell so if you fire within about 0.05 seconds of the first shell your burst will be accurate. Continued firing after 0.05 of the first shell will suffer inaccuracy.

Will be adding a "fire pattern controller" add on for the LWC at some point.

2016-05-30, 06:59 PM
Beware of the 5000 kinetics damage and 200AP of a simple 40mm shell (OK, with some railgun components...), knowing that it comes with a 0.01 precision barrel it can do some damage...

Perhaps that it would be better to take the mass of the shell into account for the shields. The heavier the easier to go through shields.
Find all posts by this user
2016-05-30, 07:00 PM
(2016-05-30 06:49 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  Oh and note that regarding the recoil addition over time if you fire all 6 barrels instantly you get 6 accurate shots. the inaccuracy builds up to a maximum value 0.2seconds after the firing of the shell so if you fire within about 0.05 seconds of the first shell your burst will be accurate. Continued firing after 0.05 of the first shell will suffer inaccuracy.

I like that very much, more LWC options is always good!
2016-05-30, 07:07 PM
(2016-05-30 06:45 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I'm also thinking of reworking how reflect shields work so that kinetic damage is taken into account as well as AP.

This will mean larger APS shells should get through reflect shields more of the time due to their huge size and kinetic energy- dispite not being built for high armour piercing. Interested in feedback on this concept.

Maybe have large shells "overload" shields so subsequent shells would encounter a weaker shield if fired soon after the first shell. The "overload" could be based on kinetic damage. This would favor volleys of large shells fired from several guns at the same time.

"I don't have to reinvent the wheel because you can teach me how it works."
"I tried being normal, but it got boring, so I went back to being me."
PS: Please make all keys in FTD remappable. Remappable while in game would be even better.
2016-05-30, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-05-30 07:13 PM by Pathos The Kosmonaut.)
[Image: ron-paul-its-happening-animated.gif]

YES

Time to come out of hibernation and build a true railway gun

I'll edit this post with feedback in a bit

[Image: Br2rXov.jpg]
2016-05-30, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-05-30 07:35 PM by karbengo.)
(2016-05-30 06:49 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  Oh and note that regarding the recoil addition over time if you fire all 6 barrels instantly you get 6 accurate shots. the inaccuracy builds up to a maximum value 0.2seconds after the firing of the shell so if you fire within about 0.05 seconds of the first shell your burst will be accurate. Continued firing after 0.05 of the first shell will suffer inaccuracy.

Brace yourselves...

[Image: 1ZC10Vw.jpg]

...for the Metal Storm!
2016-05-30, 07:43 PM
Maybe, just maybe I can build something in FtD... as before I took the break I didn't find build fun anymore...

I will hope that the missile overhaul (when it comes) will be something on the scale of APS when they first came out level of revolutionary... THAT would add another 400 hours into the game for me.

[Image: Screenshot_2017-03-12_12.08.10.png]
A live without hope is drawing to a close
In a silent house
In Eternal sleep now she awaits
I accept the cold embrace of death
2016-05-30, 07:51 PM
(2016-05-30 06:45 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I'm also thinking of reworking how reflect shields work so that kinetic damage is taken into account as well as AP.

Yes, i agree with this Nick

Also
Maybe if the shield reflects a kinetic shot, the kinetic energy will apply as shockwave that will work like graviton ram, sort off

So small jets can be knocked out of the sky if hit with massive round that got deflected

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS