Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
ProtecTech Industries
2017-05-14, 11:11 AM
RE: ProtecTech Industries
(2017-05-14 03:28 AM)Geoff Wrote:  Is it possible/practical to remap the handful of "hard-coded" keys through modding?

A left handed player in this thread is used to using esdf instead of wasd.
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=27878

It's probably possible, at least for some keys.
But it won't be clean and I don't know a lot about keyboard management.

But it's something Nick should really do, because there are so many keys that it's becoming an issue for everyone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-15, 04:30 AM
(2017-05-14 08:22 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Heh, if I'm using a mouse in my left hand I end up using the numpad for navigation in other things ( I swap mouse hands frequently to prevent RSI problems, you don't have to be left-handed to use a mouse in your left hand ) - I hadn't noticed you couldn't remap keys here Confused that's definitely something to harass Nick & co about.

Added Remappable keys to my signature. Maybe it will remind someone to look into it.

(2017-05-14 11:11 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  snip
It's probably possible, at least for some keys.
But it won't be clean and I don't know a lot about keyboard management.

But it's something Nick should really do, because there are so many keys that it's becoming an issue for everyone.

Ok. Thanks for the honest answer.

"I don't have to reinvent the wheel because you can teach me how it works."
"I tried being normal, but it got boring, so I went back to being me."
PS: Please make all keys in FTD remappable. Remappable while in game would be even better.
2017-05-16, 03:25 PM
I stuck this in the suggestions forum already, but maybe you can knock something out quicker:

I wanted a couple of fuel engine exhaust pipes ( probably just a 1m straight & corner piece ) which only let gas flow one way, like the old pipes; I'm thinking this is not actually too hard given exhaust piping is checked by recursion & all this has to do is stop recursion in one direction, but I don't know where it starts checking. The idea is of course to be able to link engines ( or runs along a single engine ) without crippling all their efficiency if there's a pipe break, and non-return valves are very old technology.

Poke my boat! help me improve & learn from my mistakes. Update - Badger rebuild, Wolverine II, T-class, Camel II, P4, Mink - 20/5/17
2017-05-16, 03:55 PM
(2017-05-16 03:25 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  I stuck this in the suggestions forum already, but maybe you can knock something out quicker:

I wanted a couple of fuel engine exhaust pipes ( probably just a 1m straight & corner piece ) which only let gas flow one way, like the old pipes; I'm thinking this is not actually too hard given exhaust piping is checked by recursion & all this has to do is stop recursion in one direction, but I don't know where it starts checking. The idea is of course to be able to link engines ( or runs along a single engine ) without crippling all their efficiency if there's a pipe break, and non-return valves are very old technology.

The worst thing in all that is that it is how it worked before... I mean, when I implemented multiple engines' exhausts combining back when it wasn't vanilla yet.

I agree that it would be good to have such a non-return valve, but I won't implement it, or at least not in a foreseeable future.
I spent time on another project, so I have less time for FtD.
And in FtD my priorities are (in this order):
- maintaining my mods
- helping Glayn with AC
- adding new features to SpinBlocksMadness:
... collision between subconstructs
... explosion fix so that it stops going through the mainconstruct
... detection fix so that it stops getting full subconstructs detection even if they are partially hidden by another subconstruct or the mainconstruct
... drag fix so that subconstructs are taken into account
- miscellaneous very small features

If adding the non-return valve was simple I would have done it instead of writing this post,b ut I looked a little ; and everything has changed since the last time I messed with the pipes... and I don't want to spend too much time on that.
Sorry for the bad news, maybe someone with more time will be able to do it.
2017-05-16, 04:09 PM
No worries, thanks for looking; maybe it'll be a good thing for me to try anyway.

Poke my boat! help me improve & learn from my mistakes. Update - Badger rebuild, Wolverine II, T-class, Camel II, P4, Mink - 20/5/17
2017-05-16, 04:40 PM
(2017-05-16 04:09 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  No worries, thanks for looking; maybe it'll be a good thing for me to try anyway.

The most difficult is to begin.
As soon as you have something that works a little, it's easier to continue.

The advantage of the pipes is that they have been re-developed recently and haven't been patched too much, so their code is significantly better than other parts.