Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4.15 Average
Hover AI: spinblock support + agility upgrade
2017-07-09, 03:10 PM
RE: Hover AI: spinblock support + agility upgrade
(2017-07-09 02:59 PM)Odhismharr Wrote:  What about "-" for values ? does the lua accept it ?

optimalAltitude = -20 -- Move at this height when in combat/stay this many meters above target in repair mode(can be negative for repair)
optimalDistance = 1500 -- Try to maintain this distance from target in both modes(doesn't take altitude into account). If you want to get close consider reducing maxPitchMagnitude. -1 means staying stationary.
minAltitude = -20 -- Measured at center of mass, leave some clearance
maxAltitude = -400 -- Without space captain above 300 the atmosphere starts to thin out. Use space propulsion if you want to go much higher

Oh, thought you mean the PID values.
Yes it does accept them(optimalDistance probably causes constant ramming/circling though).

The terrain avoidance has a hardcoded 0m limit to keep flyers out of water,
change maxAltitude in HighestTerrainAhead() from 0 to -1000 to make it work with subs(line 415 in the current version).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-16, 02:31 AM
Hey guys! Thanks so much for posting this amazing script, draba! I've gotten hours of fun out of it!

I'm trying to build a missile denial drone, and it turns out that CIWS controllers can only be placed on turrets, so I've got a drone that is 50% turret by mass, and I was hoping somebody could help me balance it. I think perhaps it is using the wrong COM on the rear thrusters, and I'm having trouble balancing roll and yaw.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Antimissile Drone.blueprint (Size: 91.11 KB / Downloads: 3)
2017-07-16, 06:21 PM
(2017-07-16 02:31 AM)angdrambor Wrote:  Hey guys! Thanks so much for posting this amazing script, draba! I've gotten hours of fun out of it!

I'm trying to build a missile denial drone, and it turns out that CIWS controllers can only be placed on turrets, so I've got a drone that is 50% turret by mass, and I was hoping somebody could help me balance it. I think perhaps it is using the wrong COM on the rear thrusters, and I'm having trouble balancing roll and yaw.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I took a quick look but will only have time tomorrow for tinkering, some notes:
- 3x3 turret bases are really fast, you'd be better off using a 3x1 elevation or a 2m AA mantlet
- the main benefit of alloy is radar signature reduction, since you already have a bigass turret metal is much better IMO(lift will be enough anyway)
- with a slightly higher main body you could sink the turret a bit lower, making it less clunky/fragile

It's possible to balance it with the current structure, will post an example tomorrow.
2017-07-17, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice draba! I think I'll implement those changes...
2017-07-17, 10:26 PM
Attached a modified version, changes:
  • Upwards facing pitch/roll thrusters. You really need these to compensate for recoil, otherwise you can't get back to horizontal without dicking over altitude.
  • Bottom row of sideways thrusters removed, top extended. Turrets do not have any drag but still contribute to CoM, this way it doesn't roll that much when yawing/going to the side(actually faster than with the thrusters).
  • Used flush jets so you are in devtest, replaced shell with flak head+timed fuse. Barrel extended to 4m, so it's ~5x as accurate as before. with ~50 m/s extra velocity.
  • PID numbers tuned up a bit.
  • 2 more coolers. Loaders can support 1 shot/0.63 second, inputs 0.886. Firerate should be at least ~70 RPM to make full use of the inputs, could probably up to 90 without actually having to wait for shells in 95% of battles.
  • Optimal distance upped to 1000. Really no need to get closer, flak works great at 500m+ and survivability increases a lot with distance.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Antimissile Drone 2.blueprint (Size: 91.97 KB / Downloads: 5)
2017-07-18, 01:06 AM
Excellent! I guess those forward upfacing attitude thrusters were really needed! Thanks for the PID tuning help. Now that it actually behaves itself in combat, it's exactly the sort of denial weapon that I hoped it would be against squirrels and missile cruisers. Between your script for cannons and the ultraflak for missiles, It renders a Novgorod harmless, exactly as I had hoped. I just have to remember to bring something actually capable of harming whatever missile cruiser I just picked a fight with...

Part of the reason I had the distance set so low was that I started from a boarding craft, which had it's optimal range set to 10. I sort of had an idea that it could be a spotter for a PAC or laser destroyer which always seems to have trouble aiming at small targets.