Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 4.59 Average
Nuclear engines- help to design them!
2018-01-24, 07:52 AM
RE: Nuclear engines- help to design them!
Yeah, my mistake there. It is uranium. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed it. Heck, I don't even remember typing plutonium. Uranium is the official fuel for these things lol.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-24, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-24 02:10 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
You can use plutonium as reactor fuel, but I don't think I'd want to be around the reactor for any length of time... rather like running an internal combustion engine on explosives.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-01-28, 10:01 PM
Took a while to wade through this, and I might have missed a bit, here's my summary of the best ideas as I see them put together to save the next person time:

* Use the already existing lead for shielding (it's cheap, but it's weight makes it more of a design problem).
* Otherwise just set the reactor to be a special boiler type with a special controller. Big, up-front expensive, but uses no resources in operation.
* "High pressure" water pipes and heat exchangers finish the design set to integrate with the existing steam systems.
* The biggest threat in game context is overpressure steam explosions, which should get implemented anyway (much to the heartbreak of my own designs, but that's life).
2018-01-29, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the forums! Great idea, I think that a new type of shielding will be added, probably pretty similar to lead, so that players don't have to swap through different places in the build menu to get the lead blocks.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-01-31, 08:07 PM
(2018-01-29 04:27 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Welcome to the forums! Great idea, I think that a new type of shielding will be added, probably pretty similar to lead, so that players don't have to swap through different places in the build menu to get the lead blocks.

They might, but given that we already have the lead, and lead is traditional radiation shielding, and that its weight and softness make for an interesting design problem, they might just add 2m and 3m lead beams and call it good.

The design of this game mostly seems to go that way, with a few notable exceptions.
2018-02-01, 02:50 PM
I'm sure that lead will be used as the shielding, it is just that lead has other uses, and will likely remain in the blocks tab, and that for ease of use, a new type of lead, with the same properties but able to reduce radiation and probably with a different texture will be added in the nuclear/steam engines tab.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-02-01, 07:09 PM
There are shielding blocks already in the game, they're just not visible in the menus ( like all the other reactor components ). That isn't to say they'll stay that way because they've been there for ages & we haven't had reactors, but some work has been done.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-02-03, 04:54 PM
Logically, if the nuclear engine melts down all of the blocks near the rods will take damage, and when they're destroyed the damage will move down to the block under and so on.
This is like what happens in a real meltdown, where the rods melt and melt anything under them.

Hope this helps Smile
2018-02-03, 05:52 PM
Was thinking about this some more, and a lot of what I'd like to see with Nuclear Power is "improvements" to the steam power system.

Compared to fuel engines the current generation of steam power is about as efficient as you would expect from open-loop steam power with no condensers and no water recirculation. The pistons all run single-expansion, there's no return piping to the boilers, and they burn "solid fuel". It's all very simple and early-mid 19th century (though the turbines are somewhat more advanced, and must be hiding some complexity for the efficiency they give).

New "base steam" components: water pipes, pistons and turbine fronts with "steam out" ports, boilers with "water in" ports, condensers (steam in, water out). Condensers could connect with water pipes to outside (as with exhaust pipes on fuel engines).

Since IRL steam plants can exceed the efficiency of the best fuel engines (taking full cycle into account), it makes sense to allow it in game for people willing to take on the complexity inherent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_ste..._expansion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensing...locomotive